How to Dress a Linear Figure (Straight)

Cardigan Empire the Movie, reverses completely with
The Linear Figure

Thanks to Float Away Films for filming, editing, and making these beautiful films
and generous gratitude to Kristine for modeling her darling linear figure

Grab your spectacles and click your mouse to read more here.

click to supersize

blair, atlantic-pacific
cameron diaz
elaine, clothed much
natalie portman

Nominate your favorite linear ladies in the comments.

Proclaim it with pride:

Not
Linear (Straight, Athletic)

Try
Hourglass (Curvy)
Middle Figure (Soft Tummy)
Lower Figure (Full Hip, Bottom)
Upper Figure (Ample Bust)
Measure (Get Started)

1 hundred 98 cents = your own linear figured fashion look book cheat sheet.

Procure your own empire constitution. Your personalized fashion look book includes your own linear figure rules of conduct and much more.

Feed me fashionably fresh
Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail to someone

Comments

I need you in my closet and when I go shopping! You taught me much from this video and I’ll keep figuring out how to dress this body of mine! Thank you!

These kinds of schematics always leave me a bit confused about which body type I have. I tend to wear size 4 to 6, and people’s impression of me tends to be “petite,” and my bust to waist and hip to waist ratios aren’t very high. Still, I wouldn’t call myself “lean” either. I’ve had babies, and I have to be careful to dress my squishy post-baby tummy, and I do have more curves than most of the pictures. Still, I don’t think I’d consider myself an apple either. Is there a category for “average”? Hahaha.

I probably need a friend to help me because every time I measure it’s different. First time was 34 bust, 32 waist, 37 hip.

Then I remeasured my waist because I was surprised how close it was to my bust measurement and got 30, so 34 bust, 30 waist, 37 hip. That sounds like pear.

Just now I got 35 bust, 30 waist, 36 hip. That might be hourglass?

Yeah, I probably need someone to make sure I’m measuring at the right places.

Brinestone,

I would go with the narrowest waist measurement you took. It’s a common mistake to measure to high or too low and get too large of a waist measurement.

When you take all your measurements, take the measurements in your dainties, with a full length mirror if possible. If you find someone to help, tell them to make sure the measuring tape is taut and parallel to the ground.

I calculated your measurements based on 34 bust (since you got that twice), 30 waist, and 37 hip, which comes out to be a delicate lower figure (pear).

Good luck!
    Reachel

Thanks! Yeah, I think that’s about right. I do find that I don’t have to be TOO careful with dressing my lower half, because it isn’t that big except proportionally, but I do need to be careful to look balanced and to not overwhelm my small frame.

I just happened to come across your blog when I clicked a photo of Rita Hayworth I was looking at and I’ve been here for over an hour now! I did the measurement calculator you put up and quite surprisingly I was closest to an hourglass based on ratios. I know that can’t be right because I’m not curvy. I always thought I was linear because I’m quite lean, though I do have a waist. Then after I read the dressing a ripe figure I think I could be that. I’m so confused!

CJ,
    It sounds like you’re either a delicate hourglass or slight upper figure. Either way, you don’t sound extreme enough in your curves to require vigilant adherence to figure dressing rules. You’d probably benefit most from the linear recommendations. When the numbers don’t make the situation clear, I always recommend studying your own experience. Feel free to e-mail me for an in-depth discussion.

You have a GREAT blog!Just a quick question….I fall under the linear category, but I don’t feel like I am petite. I am rather broad. Do the rules change for that? Do you know of any famous figures that are linear but broad? All the ones you show are very sender. Thanks!

Hi Becky,

Welcome and thank you for reading! The linear rules should apply regardless of your width. You want to round out angles with items like fluid pullovers and add curves with embellishments and or architecture. The only caution I would add is if you are particularly tall beware of anything too sweet. It can look silly and out of place.

Good luck dear!